Friday, November 11, 2011

Honoring All Who Served

Armistice Day. 1918. The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. The end of "The Great War" thought then to be the "war to end all wars" but sadly, it was not to be. In 1954, President Eisenhower signed a bill that changed Armistice Day to Veterans Day. It is a day meant for honoring all American Veterans; the living as well as the dead; those who served in wartime and those who served during peaceful times.


The above poster is in the Public Domain and is from the website of The Department of Veterans Affairs aka Veterans Administration.

On May 28, 2007 I posted a list of The Veterans in my Family, which primarily consisted of members of my immediate family as well as ancestors and a few of their siblings who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States from Vietnam to the Revolutionary War.

I am honored and grateful to have had so many relatives and ancestors fight for our Freedom during War or serve to protect that Freedom during the all too short times of peace. I may not always agree with the policies of our government but I will always support our soldiers and our veterans!

A few years ago, I gathered information and photographs of the 21 soldiers from Whitley County, Indiana who were killed, or died as a result of injuries, during World War I. Those stories were then published on my (now neglected) Whitley County Kinexxions blog.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the list of labels on that blog you will see several “WWI” labels that will lead you to newspaper articles that were published in the Columbia City Post 1917-1919 regarding The War and The Soldiers.

No comments: