Monday, October 26, 2009

Assateague Island National Seashore

It was as if I had entered a different country. Indeed, I had. Driving south on Route 213 on Sunday morning (October 18th) from Elkton, Maryland, the land became more rural and flat. No more big hills. Traffic was nearly non-existent. A welcome relief from the hustle and bustle driving of the past few days. It was still raining but from the weather reports I was hearing on the radio, I had missed the worst of it. By early afternoon the rain stopped, the clouds were clearing though the sun had yet to make an appearance. There were reports of flooding in the low-lying areas along the eastern shore so I stopped early for the night.

Monday morning brought clear blue skies and sunshine, a glorious morning though cold with temps in the 40s, but at least it wasn't raining! In just a few hours I arrived at the Assateague Island National Seashore south of Ocean City, Maryland. There were areas that were flooded due to all the rain they had received and some of the campsites were affected. I drove around the “loops” in the bayside campgrounds managed by the National Park Service and located the “perfect” spot. It was a relatively large site with a view of the bay and just a small low area, close to the bay, that was filled with water.

That afternoon there were several visitors in the area where I was staying...





4 comments:

Jasia said...

More great pictures Becky! I remember those cute little Assateague ponies from my trip to Maryland back in the 1980s. The area looks much more green and lush than when I was there (in February). I think I remember seeing a crane or two also but I don't remember any deer. Thanks for sharing these pics that took me on a trip down memory lane!

Unknown said...

Great pictures! Funny you made it there but not Boston, We was going to go there this summer but went to Boston instead.

Moultrie Creek said...

I hope you will stop at Georgia's Cumberland Island (just east of Kings Bay Naval Base) on your way south. I think you'll find it quite enjoyable. And, on the mainland side, just north of the Navy base is the delightful Crooked River State Park with waterfront camping and easy access to Cumberland and Okeefenokee Swamp too. --Denise Olson

Greta Koehl said...

Your pictures have convinced me that I need to see Assateague before much more time passes; I live in Virginia but have never been to Assateague!