Monday, January 26, 2009

Regarding Mercedes

While going through my grandmother's papers (again) this weekend, I found this picture, probably taken on the same day as the one at the bottom of this post.

Mae was the adopted daughter of William James Dunfee and his wife, Mary Elizabeth Walker. Jane is my grandmother's sister, Hazlette is my grandmother, and Mercides is the object of my quest in unraveling a little mystery. It's a guess, but I'd say the picture was taken about 1918-1920.

And, another clue, which just goes to show that it pays to look at all of those little scraps of paper! The problem is though, that I don't know when the note was written, but from what I can tell, it was in the late 1960s or early 1970s that Grandma started working on her genealogy. I'm pretty sure that the ACPL (Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne) has some Detroit City Directories. One of these days I'll get to the library...

The note reads:
This is Mercedes
Name & address
Mrs. A. Vinet
13822 French Rd
Detroit 34 -

1 comment:

Taylorstales-Genealogy said...

I guess it never hurts to take another look at our pictures and documents. What a find, perhaps someone out in the blogosphere can help you with that city directory. Love the picture, thanks for sharing.