Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Genea-Blogger Games: 3rd Update

This was a busy day of strenuous competition with tasks completed in four (or three?) different categories!

3. Organize Your Research!
This task puts me at the Silver Medal level in this category!
E. Create at least 20 data entries in your database, or scan 20 photos, or scan 20 documents.
Scanned 74 newspaper clippings that were in a Phend surname folder located at the Whitley County Historical Museum.
4. Write, Write, Write!
This gets me to the Silver Medal level thus far in this category!
B. Participate in a genealogy or family history related blog carnival.
Say What? was written for and submitted to COG 54, The Family Language.
5. Reach Out & Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness!
Yesterday, I completed tasks A, B, and E. By finishing these tasks I've now earned a Platinum Medal, my first!

D. Assist another researcher with a research request or lookup.
Responded to a query that I received yesterday regarding a possible kinship with Henry Robison (abt 1794-1852) and his wife Ann(a). Not enough research has been done to provide enough evidence that Henry and Anna are the parents of Lydia Robison who married Lysander Joslin. Lydia is a sister of Henry Robison, Jr. My correspondent descends from James Robison and his wife Tabitha Scott. It is likely that James and Lydia are siblings but more research needs to be done. I sent her what little information I had on Henry and his wife. If the connections pan out then I've found a new cousin!

F. Join a genealogical, historical, heritage or lineage society.
Today I renewed my membership in the National Genealogical Society. I also belong to the New England Historical Genealogical Society, the Indiana Genealogical Society, and am an active member of the Genealogical Society of Whitley County (Indiana).
2. Back Up Your Data!

A. Prepare a comprehensive backup plan for your digital research files and a security plan for your hard copies and photos.
I'm not sure this qualifies for a medal since it is something I've already done but I thought I'd include it in the hopes that it might help someone. In October 2007 I wrote Are You Prepared? I'm Not which includes some links to information regarding disaster preparedness and recovery. A month later I followed up with My Plan to Prepare for Disaster. I'm still working on it so I'm "not there" yet. But I do have a plan ;-)

C. Backup all your data using a flash drive, an external drive, CDs, DVDs, or an online resource.
Again, this probably doesn't qualify for a medal since it is something that I've been doing for quite a while but I thought I'd share what I am doing as far as backing up data is concerned. I have two external hard drives that I rotate for full digital data backups. One drive is stored at my mother's place 30 miles away. Backups are done at night (while I'm sleeping) on an every-other-day basis and the drives swapped whenever I visit Mom, at least once a week. Also at least once a week, the full backup is replicated to my laptop. So I have at least three backups, in varying stages, of all digital files. All of my digital data is stored in various subfolders of the main folder with the exception of my Legacy database files and email, which gets buried by Windows deep in some obscure file structure. I use a simple replication program that is set up to copy the data in those three folders.

Both of my blogs are also backed up. Whenever I post an article I copy the final version, paste it into a word document, and save it using the date and post title as a file name. I tried simply printing the post directly to a pdf file but don't like the output. An excel spreadsheet was created as an index the posts with the date, title, and surnames that were included in the post. In addition to these local copies, a private blog was created on another blogging platform. Once a week I import the new posts from Blogger into this private blog.

If these two tasks don't comply with the requirements then this category is one in which I likely won't medal. I'm working on getting my paper files organized and scanned but there isn't any way that it can ALL be accomplished within the next two weeks.

No comments: