Blogger has "labels" available that can be used for categorizing posts. These labels appear at the bottom of all posts and also in the sidebar. When you click the link for a label, it will take you to a page that shows all of the posts with that label, which is good. Problem is, some of my "labels" have quite a few posts associated with them so there may be several pages of posts displayed.
A few months ago I added a section to the sidebar for "Posts on Families I'm Researching" and created a link to the label for that family. Once I get the index post created for each family that has more than a couple of posts, the link in the "Posts on Families..." section will then go to the index post for that family. I was having a hard time finding certain posts, so this is being done mainly for my own use, but I thought it may also help some of my visitors looking for specific families. The labels will still be displayed on posts.
I thought about changing the date on the index post each time I added a post for that family. That way, the index post would always display as the top post when someone clicked on the label. Does this sound like a good idea? Or not?
Index posts have been created for most of the following families:
( * indicates still to be done)
- Berlin - - Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania
- Brubaker - - Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania
- Church * - - Connecticut
- Dunfee - - Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania
- Dyer * - - Vermont
- Fisher - - Indiana, Ohio, Germany
- Foster - - Indiana, Ohio, Virginia
- Goodrich - - Indiana, Ohio, Connecticut
- Hazlett - - Ohio, Pennsylvania
- Helms - - Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania
- Hoffman/Huffman - Ohio, Pennsylvania
- Jones - - Indiana, Ohio
- Joslin (1) - - Indiana, Ohio, Massachusetts
- Joslin (2) Lysander & Lydia - Indiana, Kansas
- Phend - - Indiana, Ohio, Switzerland
- Robison - - Indiana, Ohio
- Rupert - - Ohio, Pennsylvania
- Sisley * - - Indiana, Pennsylvania
- Stem * - - Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania
- Switzer - Ohio, Pennsylvania
- Wise - - Indiana, Ohio
- Yarian * - - Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania
- Alexander - - Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland
- Bray - - Indiana, Kentucky, Virginia
- Shuder - - Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania
- Wiseman - - Indiana, Switzerland
Index posts have also been created for several "series" of posts
- August 2007 FGS Conference - - Daily posts on the sessions attended and some additional thoughts.
- Letters from Boot Camp - - On November 14th 1969 I enlisted in the U.S. Navy. For the next 10 weeks I went through basic training at RTC(W) Bainbridge, graduating on January 23, 1970. These are the letters that I wrote home during that time.
- Mystery Photos - - The Wiseman Bible, given to me in January 2004, contained some unidentified pictures.
- Phend-Fisher Family Reunion Ledger - - The family reunions were held 1898-1943. These posts are transcriptions and images for each year.
- Kinexxions :: Carnival of Genealogy Contributions - - My contributions to the CoG