Tuesday, November 20, 2007

On the Road

As I write this post, I'm in a motel in Terre Haute, Indiana that has verrrrry slooow wireless internet access. Actually, I wasn't sure if I could even get connected tonight due to some problems this morning with the laptop. Lets just say this mornings fiasco did not bode well for the rest of the day! I was not in a good mood when I finally gave up trying to get connected this morning. Then when I booted up the laptop an hour or so ago here at the motel, I got a message that "Windows was unable to start" and it then went into "Repair" mode. It scared the bejeebers out of me. It took a while and several times to go through its thing, but it finally booted up. Then it wouldn't recognize the motel's wireless network. Turns out there's a little switch on the front of the computer that needed to be moved to the right. After that it recognized the network. I don't think that had anything to do with the problems this morning since I was trying to connect via the ethernet card. Oh well, seems to be working now. Though slowly. Hmm, just lost my connection... got it back without losing anything. Whew!

The fiasco with the laptop delayed my start time by about two hours. Had to make a side trip in Fort Wayne to DeBrand's to pick up some fancy chocolates for gifts. That took about an hour or so, then onto I69 and south to Indianapolis. The weather was overcast and dreary. Traffic was heavy and fast. I was going a little above the speed limit and being passed like I was standing still. State Police were out in force though and between Fort Wayne and Indy I saw at least half a dozen people that had been stopped by patrol officers.

By the time I got to Indianapolis the weather was starting to clear and the sun even came out for a few minutes. Of course, the traffic got heavier the closer I got to Indy. It was about 4:30 p.m. and there was some road construction that slowed things down, a lot. But I made it round the "speedway" (I465 to I70) and out of Indy without any problems - except for a bad case of nerves and a headache!

I'm on my way to Springfield, Missouri for a Joslin Family Reunion. Internet connectivity for the next week or so could be iffy so I'll take this opportunity to wish you all a safe, happy, and thankful Thanksgiving holiday.

1 comment:

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Have a safe trip! I know you'll have a great time at your reunion :)