Friday, June 29, 2007

Saturday December 6, 1969 ~ Letter from Boot Camp

This is the 8th in a series of letters written home while I was in Basic Training. Click on the "Boot Camp" label at the bottom of the post to see all of the letters.

Recruit Training Command (Women)
U. S. Naval Training Center
Bainbridge, Maryland ~ 6 Dec 1969

Hi Mom & Terry,

How are ya? We had our pictures taken Friday. They gave us about an hours warning so all of us were really in great shape - Ha! We won't get them until our tenth week just before graduation.

Hey, even if I make the drill team don't spend all that money just to come here for a few hours. Its really not worth that much. Besides I can spend about $30.00 for a plane ticket and be home that same evening. I'd rather do that anyway, flying is great. I'll get some pictures on the way back - I packed my camera in the suitcase on the way here so I didn't get any pictures. Not much happens on weekends except that we're busy getting ready for the week.

Did I tell you about the last inspection? I can't remember if I did or not. Anyway, I did a lot better this time. I only had one discrepancy on IO inspection and two discrepancies on CC inspection. I don't know what the score is yet. Bunk was 3.50 and locker 3.65. We start wearing our dress blues next Friday and pass in review at the graduation. I got my recruit patch sewn on them today!

Tomorrow (Sunday) is going to be spent studying for the test Monday. I got all of my laundry & ironing done today except for the clothes I have on that is.

I just addressed about thirty Christmas cards. We got paid yesterday and went to the main exchange today. Please don't expect any Christmas presents from me. I hate to say that but I really can't afford anything.

Well I have to go now, Love, Becky

No comments: